Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Historical, Social, Technical

Original Use


In Use As



1860 - 1870


90015, 129384

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Freestanding ten-bay single- and double-height Romanesque style Roman Catholic church, dated 1865, designed by J.J. McCarthy. Comprising ten-bay double-height nave with ten-bay single-storey lean-to aisles to north and to south elevations, single-bay single-storey sacristy to south elevation, rose window over entrance bay to west gable end and single-bay single-stage engaged circular turret to south-west corner on a square base having needle spire. Renovated and extended to south-west in 1963 with single-bay single-storey limestone-built chapel. Pitched artificial slate roofs, with gable parapets to sacristy, and cast-iron gutters and downpipes. Rock-faced random limestone walls with smooth limestone dressings. Corbel table to base of circular tower having ashlar conical roof. Round-headed openings, limestone surrounds to clerestory windows and to west rose window, replacement concrete surrounds to aisle windows with exposed aggregate. Door surround with columns, carving of St Michael in tympanum and double-leaf boarded doors. Nave and two aisles separated by round-headed arcades to interior with limestone archivolts on limestone columns with foliate capitals. Exposed trusses and compartmented ceilings. Mosaic tiling to chancel walls at low level. West gallery. Chancel reordered. Burial ground to site with group of cut-stone Celtic Cross style grave markers, c. 1900. Gateway, built c. 1865, to west comprising four limestone ashlar circular piers with cast-iron gates and railings. Lych gate, built c. 1865, to west comprising limestone ashlar piers with round-headed opening to centre having gable over with Celtic Cross style finial to apex. Four circular limestone ashlar gateposts flanked by curved rubble walls with cast-iron gates and railings, partly replaced in steel.