Survey Data

Reg No

20987024


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Historical


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1830 - 1850


Coordinates

176577, 65447


Date Recorded

27/05/2009


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Semi-detached two-bay two-storey gable-fronted house, built c.1840. Pitched slate roof having timber clad eaves course, octagonal limestone and rendered chimneystacks and uPVC rainwater goods. Timber bargeboards with finial to front (south-east) gable. Lined-and-ruled rendered walls having rendered plinth. Square-headed and pointed arch window openings with tooled limestone sills throughout, having uPVC casement windows. Square-headed door opening having replacement timber panelled door with sidelights and overlight having limestone stepped approach. Rendered enclosing wall with cast-iron railings, square-profile rendered gate piers with tooled limestone caps and double-leaf cast-iron gates, having maker's mark reading 'Buckley Cork'.

Appraisal

One of a pair of semi-detached houses that are distinguished from other nearby buildings by their gable-fronted elevations. Their early Victorian style, fenestration and historic character add interest to the coastal streetscape. Apparently built for John Arnott, who went on to found Arnott's shop in Dublin.