Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1880 - 1900
Detached three-bay three-storey former hotel, built c.1890. Later two-bay three-storey extension to east. Recent extensions to rear (north). Now in use as public house. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystacks and uPVC rainwater goods. Single pitched roof to east extension with rendered chimneystack. Painted roughcast and smooth rendered walls (south) with render sill bands to first and second floors. Square-headed openings having two-over-two timber sliding sash windows and rendered surrounds. Square-headed openings with timber fixed pane display windows to ground floor. Square-headed door opening with replacement timber glazed doors and rendered surrounds. Outbuilding to west.
This former hotel was built at a time when this spectacular peninsula was openings up to tourism, to provide accommodation and refreshment to travellers. Its three-storey, vertical form contrasts greatly with the horizontal form favoured for dwellings in the area, and marks it out as a commercial building. Though altered at ground floor level, it retains much of its character and charm.