Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Historical, Social, Technical

Original Use

Engine house


1860 - 1865


59105, 45899

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Detached two-bay three-stage engine house, built 1862, comprising circular-profile tower to south-east, boiler house to east, drum for winding and gearing for man-engine to north and west. Now disused. Rubble limestone walls with red brick to upper courses of tower. Square-headed openings with timber lintels. Square-headed openings to drum. Camber-headed openings and segmental brick arch opening to boiler house. Various open mineshafts to surrounding area. Enclosed by recent chain-link and concrete post fence.


This structure is one of a number of buildings associated with the running of the Berehaven Copper Mines. It was commissioned by Henry Puxley who inherited the mines in 1860. By 1863, production at the mines had reached an all time high and the mine became even deeper. This engine house replaced the earlier and somewhat smaller ‘old bucket shaft’ and ‘old skip shaft’ and could operate a man engine or a winding drum. This building was an essential component of the copper mines and its construction greatly assisted production at the site. It makes a striking contribution to the landscape and is a visual reminder of the extensive mining which took place in the mountains above Allihies village.