Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Social, Technical

Original Use

Rectory/glebe/vicarage/curate's house

In Use As



1805 - 1810


198303, 66572

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Detached three-bay two-storey over half-basement former glebe house, built 1807, with gabled four-bay three-storey block and single-bay three-storey flat-roofed return to rear (north). Now in use as house. Hipped slate roof with rendered chimneystack, overhanging eaves and cast-iron rainwater goods. Pitched slate roof to rear block. Rendered walls, slate hung to ground and first floors of south and east elevations of main block. Square-headed openings, some with six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows, some with timber casement windows and some with fixed timber windows. Elliptical-headed door opening with spoked fanlight, approached by flight of cut limestone steps over area. Detached seven-bay two-storey outbuilding to north with pitched slate roof, red brick chimneystack, rubble stone walls, square-headed openings with timber fittings, those to ground floor with red brick voussoirs. Elliptical-arched carriage arches with stepped surrounds and red brick voussoirs, one having timber battened double-leaf doors. Detached single-bay single-storey outbuilding to site with pitched slate roof, rendered rubble stone walls and segmental-headed carriage arch. Square-profile piers to north-west with red brick caps.


Tall front elevation enhanced by central chimneystack forms imposing façade. Early date is indicated by proportions and form. Central door provides main focus point with tall approach staircase over area. Slate hung walls an unusual and important feature, as is retention of timber sash windows. Retains much of its original form, despite undergoing renovations. Formerly in use as a glebe house, adds social and religious context. Outbuildings to site add context and retain much of their materials and form.