Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Historical, Social, Technical
1845 - 1850
Four-span railway viaduct, completed 1849, spanning Cork to Bandon road. Now disused. Coursed ashlar limestone piers having corner pilasters, topped with brick pier, supporting steel girder trussed round-headed arches. Platform to eastern end having limestone block parapets with coping stones and string course.
An important and substantial landmark designed by Charles Nixon, Engineer, which makes a dramatic contribution to the surrounding area. It carried trains on its single line from Cork to West Cork until 1961. It stands 90ft above the road and has a 21ft span. The viaduct displays fine craftsmanship in the stone work seen in the piers and excellent design in the elegant steel arches.