Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Historical, Social, Technical
In Use As
Heritage centre/interpretative centre
1795 - 1800
Detached triple-pile gable-fronted eight-bay four-storey former corn mill, built 1797, later in use as saw mill, now in use as heritage centre. Stone lined feeder with replacement steel breast shot ring gear water wheel to the rear (north-east). Feeder channel continues south through substantial stone lined sluice gate with cast-iron sluice racks. Pitched corrugated-iron roof with rendered eaves course and replacement uPVC rainwater goods. Rubble stone walls having roughly dressed quoins. Pitched corrugated-iron roofs with suspended iron winch wheels to loading bay canopies. Square-headed window openings with roughly dressed voussoirs, recent render lintels, render sills and replacement timber casement windows. Square-headed loading-bay openings to central bays of gable fronts (south-west) having roughly dressed voussoirs, recent render lintels, render sills and timber battened shutters with steel guard rails. Square-headed door openings to ground floor having roughly dressed stone voussoirs, recent render lintels and reveals with replacement double-leaf timber battened doors.
An impressive, substantial former mill which is a significant reminder of the area's industrial heritage. Built by the Harding family in the closing years of the eighteenth century, its first years of business were busy meeting the increased grain demands which arose due to the Napoleonic wars. Corn and milling created prosperity in the area at the time, as farmers had a ready market for their crop, while the mills provided employment. In 1899 the power of the mill wheel was harnessed to provide electricity to the town, and it is thought that Macroom was one of the first towns in the country with electric street lighting. It retaining much of its historic form and fabric intact.