Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Historical Social
1840 - 1845
Freestanding tapered four-stage bell tower, dated 1843. Roof now missing, having remains of rubble stone crenellations. Rubble stone walls with dressed limestone stringcourse to eaves, putlog holes, incised date and lettering and recent carved memorial plaque to southern elevation. Pointed arch window openings to upper-stage, having pointed arch and square-headed window openings to second and third-stages. Round-headed Romanesque carved limestone doorcase having decorative rose and chevron motifs, having flanking colonettes with carved capitals to timber battened door. Set within church grounds.
A freestanding bell tower, a type which is relatively unusual in Ireland. Set on an elevated site, it is an eye-catching and curious feature of the area. Built by Father Horgan of Ballygibbon, the design by John Windele was inspired by the Irish round tower associated with monasteries in the twelfth century, with its circular-plan, raised entrance level and defensive lack of fenestration at lower levels. Father Horgan was responsible for the construction of a second round tower, also in this part of the county, at Whitechurch. He was apparently buried at the base of the Waterloo tower in 1849.