Survey Data

Reg No

20903921


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Archaeological


Original Use

Country house


Date

1550 - 1810


Coordinates

125056, 94371


Date Recorded

03/10/2006


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached country house, built 1806, incorporating medieval tower house in west part. Front elevation is five-bay, comprising two-bay two-storey east part recessed in relation to two-bay three-storey west part, and linked by one-bay three-storey octagonal turret. Rear elevation is three-bay three-storey over half-basement and having projecting central stairs tower. Side elevations are single bay. Now roofless ruin and having castellations to main elevations. Rendered rubble sandstone walls, with limestone string course to front turret and limestone date plaque 1806 to stairs tower at first floor level. Carved limestone double-light mullioned and transomed window openings to front, rear and west elevations, with ogee heads and carved spandrels and moulded surrounds, except for rear tower and basement, which have chamfered surrounds, windows to tower also being triple-light. All windows above basement level having label-mouldings. Windows to front turret are single ogee-headed with carved limestone surrounds and label-mouldings and limestone sills. Towerhouse heightened by two storeys when nineteenth-century house built and has castellated parapet and mullioned and transomed window openings. Entrance doorway in front elevation of eastmost bay of west part has carved ogee head, remains of ogee-headed overlight, carved limestone surround and label-moulding, and approached by flight of steps with curving cast-iron railings. Curving enclosure wall to north-east has integral chamber with vaulted roof and well with castellated surround. Site overlooks River Blackwater to south.

Appraisal

This fine Gothic Revival castellated house incorporates the remains of a medieval towerhouse of the O'Keeffes. The high quality of the window and door openings with their hood-mouldings and fine ogee-headed lights, enhances this ruined, though still impressive, country house. Its siting, on the edge of a wooded ravine, is dramatic.