Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1860 - 1900
Detached three-bay two-storey house, built c.1880, with return to rear (west). Now in use as guest house. Pitched slate roof, red brick chimneystacks with platbands and cast-iron rainwater goods to projecting eaves with moulded render brackets. Roughcast rendered walls with moulded render string course and plat band at first floor sill level. Square-headed window openings with moulded render surrounds, stone sills and replacement one-over-one sash windows. Camber-headed window opening with moulded render surround, limestone step and timber panelled door with overlight. Set slightly back from street with recent red brick boundary wall having render coping, iron railings and square-profile gate piers with limestone caps and wrought-iron pedestrian gate.
The render detailing to this house enlivens its symmetrical facade, with the horizontal lines of the sill course and eaves detailing highlighting the building's form. Set back from the prevailing building line, and of a greater height than its neighbours, the house is a landmark feature in the streetscape. The boundary wall and railings are an integral part of the street's historic character.