Survey Data

Reg No

20868065


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1870 - 1910


Coordinates

171445, 71697


Date Recorded

14/04/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terrace of four two-bay two-storey houses, built c.1890, with full-height canted bays and two-storey over basement returns to rear. Pitched slate and artificial slate roofs with red brick corbelled chimneystacks, cast-iron rainwater goods and recent rooflights and solar panels to west house. Smooth rendered walls with moulded render continuous sill course at first floor level. Square-headed window openings with one-over-one timber sliding sash windows. Some houses with replacement uPVC windows. Round-headed recessed door opening with fanlights, sidelights, half-glazed timber doors, polychromatic tiled and limestone thresholds. Some houses with replacement doors. Smooth rendered boundary walls surmounted by wrought-iron railings with square-profile piers to wrought-iron pedestrian gates. Vehicular gateway to west house.

Appraisal

This terrace is a good example of late-nineteenth-century suburban housing. The canted bays enliven the regular form, while the retention of original fabric adds further interest. The polychromatic tiled thresholds add an attractive splash of colour to the group.