Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
In Use As
1895 - 1905
Semi-detached two-bay two-storey with dormer attic house, built c.1900, having flat-roofed projecting porch, full-height box bay and gabled dormer windows to north and two-storey return to rear. Pitched slate roof with terracotta crested ridge tiles, red brick corbelled chimneystack, timber bargeboards to dormer windows and aluminium rainwater goods on corbelled red brick eaves course. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with rendered plinth, smooth render band at window head level and smooth rendered rear elevation. Terracotta panels to box bay. Brick cornice to porch with egg-and-dart moulding and surmounted by balustraded parapet with ball finials to end piers. Square-headed window openings, paired to box bay with pre-cast mullion and sills, render sills elsewhere and replacement one-over-one timber sash windows. Round-headed opening to eastern dormer window with moulded render surround, pre-cast sill with scroll ends and paired casement windows. Square-headed door opening with fluted keystone and flanked by pilasters with pre-cast foliate capitals and replacement panelled timber and glazed door having overlight. Set back from street with garden to front bounded by wrought-iron railings on a brick plinth wall having concrete capping. Square-profile gate piers to wrought-iron vehicular gates. Original centrally located pedestrian entrance now bricked up with part of original gate used as railings.
This house, built at the very end of the Victorian era, has many finely-crafted decorative details, including the ridge cresting, terracotta panels, and ornate cast iron railings to the front, which serve to enliven the façade and are typical of the era in which the house was constructed. It is a well maintained and attractive house which, with the house adjoining to the east, comprises an imposing and landmark composition on this section of the Blackrock Road.