Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
In Use As
1800 - 1840
Terrace of five two-storey with attic and three-storey houses, built c.1820, with single-, two- and three-bay facades and single-storey extension to southern house. Pitched slate and artificial slate roofs with rendered chimneystacks, dormer windows to northern two houses and cast-iron rainwater goods. Rendered walls. Square-headed window openings with limestone sills, three-over-three pane (second-floor southern three houses) and six-over-six pane (ground and first floors) timber sliding sash windows. Timber surround to ground floor window No.6. Round-headed window openings to ground floor of northern house having limestone sills and replacement timber casement windows. Square-headed door openings flanked by timber pilasters supporting with timber panelled doors having timber mullioned overlights. Cut limestone threshold and steps to doors. Fronting directly onto square.
Wellington Square has a surprising military history. The terrace which now makes up 5-9 Wellington Square was originally a magazine that was associated with the Ballincollig Gunpowder Mills, located several miles west of the city. Its original function remains apparent in the blast wall which forms the extremely thick rear wall. It was this magazine which gave Magazine Road its name. The magazine was substantially remodelled in the first decades of the nineteenth century as housing for army officers and additional housing was constructed on the site at the time. Its historical associations, pleasing square-plan layout and architectural styles make this an interest group. Many important features and materials such as timber sash windows, limestone sills and thresholds and timber doors and surrounds are retained. The doors mirror those of the houses opposite, adding a sense of continuity to the square.