Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
In Use As
1945 - 1955
Detached single-storey substation, built c.1950, having canopied bus shelter to front (south) elevation. Flat felt roof. Rendered walls. Round opening to east elevation with louvered fittings and bolt motif. Timber seat to shelter.
Possibly designed by E. Buckley and John O'Gorman, this building is indicative of the Electricity Supply Board's policy of expressing the new technology through the medium of Modern architecture. Unusually it has a dual function of a bus shelter, and its canted canopy adds to the horizontal emphasis of the building. The excellently designed lightening bolt motif indicates the building's function and forms the decorative focus of this otherwise plain building.