Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Detached three-bay single-storey with attic former gate lodge, built c.1850, having gable-fronted projecting entrance porch to front (north) elevation and flat-roofed extension to rear (south) elevation. Now in use as offices. Pitched slate roof with cut limestone chimneystacks, limestone coping and cast-iron rainwater goods. Squared-and-snecked limestone walls with stepped plinth course and projecting chimneybreast to gables. Pointed arch window openings having cut limestone block-and-start surrounds with transomed window to western end and timber casement windows throughout. Pointed arch door opening to western side of entrance porch having cut limestone surround to timber panelled door with cast-iron hinges. Cut limestone boundary wall to south elevation with wrought-iron pedestrian gate and railings to front elevation. Set within college campus.
Located at one of the campus entrances, this former gate lodge forms part of a group of related structures which are notable for their architectural diversity. In common with the buildings dating to the first phase of building on the site, it is Gothic Revival in the style. It retains many notable historic features, while fine craftsmanship can be seen in the stone work, particularly in the crisp opening dressings.