Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Historical, Social, Technical
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Freestanding neo-classical Doric entrance, built c.1820, as entrance to Cork County Gaol with central breakfront having tetrastyle pedimented portico to north. Now forming part of University College Cork's grounds. Limestone ashlar walls with string course, fluted frieze and carved limestone cornice. False machicolation to western corner. Blank pedimented square-headed window openings. Commemorative marble plaque to western opening. Portico supported on tapering limestone columns with triglyphs and metopes to entablature and plain pediment. Square-headed door opening having stepped grilled overlight and replacement double-leaf timber panelled door. Carved limestone plaque with copper surround to western wall inscribed with names in Irish.
The size, scale, siting and neo-Classical design of this former gaol entrance make it a dominant and intimidating feature in the streetscape. It was designed by renowned architects George Richard and James Pain and formed part of central block with three radiating wings. Approached from the north over a bridge, a sense of drama is created by is careful siting. It displays many classical details such as the Doric columns to portico and pedimented blank windows. The ashlar stonework and sculpted pediment display skilled craftsmanship and excellent design. The carved plaques add to its historic interest.