Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Historical
In Use As
1910 - 1930
Corner-sited attached three-bay two-storey commercial outlet, built c.1920, with gabled breakfront supported on brackets to front (north) elevation at first floor, and canted end bays to side elevations. Hipped artificial slate roofs with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimneystack and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted timber bargeboards and framing to gable. Roughcast rendered walls to first floor with smooth render to ground floor. Inscribed plaque to first floor entrance bay commemorates Brian Dillon. Square-headed window openings with render sills and multi-pane timber casement windows. Square-headed door opening to ground floor of east elevation with recessed porch, overlight, timber-and-glazed door and tiled floor. Paired square-headed door openings to north leading to first floor. Eastern door with multi-pane overlight and timber-and-glazed door with sidelights over panelled timber risers. Replacement door to western opening. Shopfronts with rendered fascia, square-headed display windows with fixed pane round-headed lights having carved timber surrounds and mullions on smooth rendered stallrisers. Recent signage to fascia.
This well-detailed commercial building makes the most of its corner site, with its chamfered end bays and the half-timbered gable making it an eye-catching, yet sympatric, addition to the urban landscape. The Tudor revival timbered gable, timber panelled doors with carefully chamfered panels, and timber casement windows are among its many noteworthy features. It is associated with local patriot, Brian Dillon, who was born in the original house on this site which was burned down in 1920.