Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Group of three two-bay three-storey houses, built c.1830. Pitched slate roof to south house with rendered corbelled chimneystack and aluminium rainwater goods. Smooth rendered walls. Square-headed window openings with painted render sills, three-over-six timber sliding sashes to second floor and six-over-six sashes to ground and first floors. Some replacement uPVC windows. Square-headed door opening in moulded timber surround with lead-roofed cornice carried on foliate brackets and timber four-panelled door surmounted by plain glazed overlight. Some timber glazed doors. Set back from the street and bounded by rendered walls surmounted by cast-iron railings with fleur-de-lys finials and cast-iron gate piers with finials. Cast-iron pedestrian gate having alternating fleur-de-lys and palmette finials.
These three houses form a highly visible group at St Luke's Cross. While some refenestration has taken place, other important elements of these buildings, such as the moulded render details, doorcases and much of the delightful decorative ironwork railings and gates have been retained.