1860 - 1900
Freestanding cast-iron pillar box, erected c.1880. Flat-domed cap with fluted collar. Shaft inscribed Post Office and bearing Victoria Regina royal insignia. Maker's mark to base.
This standard cast-iron pillar box, which is still in use, is an important feature in the streetscape. It is a good example of nineteenth century mass-produced cast-iron work, incorporating profiled details that contribute to the design aesthetic of the composition. The V.R. motif indicates the reign of Queen Victoria (1837-1901) and is a reminder of Ireland's history as part of the British Empire