Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1790 - 1810
Corner-sited attached four-bay three-storey former house, built c.1800, now in use as a commercial premises with shopfront inserted to ground floor, c.1960. Single-storey addition to rear (east) elevation. Pitched slate roof with cast-iron rainwater goods. Smooth rendered walls with marble-tiled plinth course. Square-headed window openings in patent reveals with render sills and two-over-two timber sliding sash windows. Shopfront comprising painted tiled surround with square-headed window opening at centre having fixed pane windows with casement overlights above marble-surfaced stall riser. Square-headed door openings to north and south with plain glazed overlights above timber panelled doors. Street-fronted.
Occupying a prominent corner site, this building is an eye-catching addition to the streetscape. Despite alterations and the insertion of a shopfront at ground floor level, this former house continues to express an early aspect with much historic fabric surviving in place. The restrained exterior and diminishing in scale of the window openings on the upper floors in the classical manner contribute to its appeal.