Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
In Use As
1880 - 1900
Attached four-bay three-storey red brick hostel, built c.1890. Pitched slate roof with red brick chimneystack and cast-iron profiled gutters on overhanging eaves supported by cast-iron brackets. Red brick walls laid in Flemish Bond with limestone dressings, chamfered red brick plinth course and limestone platbands at sills level. Stepped brick detailing at second floor level. Camber-headed window openings with rubbed brick window heads, dressed limestone keystones and shoulders, limestone sills and one-over-one timber sliding sash windows. Wrought-iron window guards to ground floor window openings. Camber-headed door openings at front (west) elevation with plain glazed overlight and timber sheeted doors. Street-fronted.
This building is an attractive, substantial composition of balanced proportions and fine detailing, which contributes to the character of the streetscape. The building retains most of its original fabric and fittings, including timber sliding sash windows and the unusual cast-iron brackets. High level of craftsmanship is demonstrated in the brick and stone work. It is of social importance in the locality for its continued use as a charitable hostel.