Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1730 - 1770
Corner-sited three-bay three-storey house, built c.1750, with shopfront inserted at ground floor level. Built as a pair with the adjoining house. Steeply pitched artificial slate roof with rooflights and metal rainwater goods. Smooth rendered walls. Camber-headed window openings having moulded render window head detailing, stone sills and two-over-two timber sliding sash windows. Render shopfront comprising fluted pilasters with recent timber capitals supporting fascia board and cornice. Square-headed window openings with fixed pane display windows. Square-headed door opening to centre flanked by fluted pilasters with plain glazed overlight and timber and glazed door. Street-fronted.
This building occupies a prominent corner site and its broad street frontage contributes to the streetscape of both Shandon Street and Cathedral Road. Its steeply pitched roof is suggestive of an early date, and together with the adjoining building, is a significant early structure in this historic street. Shandon Street was traditionally a main thoroughfare linking the city with the rural hinterland to the north. Its position, scale and steeply pitched roof make it a formidable presence in the urban landscape.