Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Semi-detached two-bay two-storey house, built c.1840, having hipped roofed canted bay windows to front (south-east), historic single-bay two-storey addition to side (north-east) with balcony. Recent extensions to rear (north-west). Pitched slate and artificial slate roof with overhanging timber clad eaves on timber corbels, having rendered chimneystacks and uPVC rainwater goods. Rendered walls throughout. Square-headed window openings with rendered sills throughout. Replacement bipartite two-over-two pane uPVC sliding sash windows with moulded render label mouldings to first floor of front elevation. Replacement six-over-six and four-over-four pane uPVC sliding sash windows to canted bays. uPVC casement windows elsewhere. Square-headed door opening to first floor of side addition, having double-leaf uPVC doors. Elliptical-headed door opening to ground floor of side addition with rendered pilaster surround surmounted by channelled archivolt. Replacement glazed timber door with side lights and spoked fanlight. Rendered wall to south-east with square-profile gate piers and cast-iron gate.
Belle Vue Place comprises two pairs of semi-detached houses, which were built at the beginning of Monkstown's development as a fashionable seaside resort in the nineteenth century. Though this house has lost some of its original fabric, its early form and character remain, and historic features could be reinstated by using the more intact houses as templates. These houses form part of a significant group of high status homes with the other fine houses which were built along the seafront at the time.