Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Social
In Use As
1800 - 1840
Detached five-bay two-storey former market house, built c.1820, with pedimented single-bay breakfront, projecting gable-fronted end-bays and balcony approached by flanking curved steps. Now in use as town hall. Pitched slate roof with terracotta ridge cresting, red brick chimneystacks, limestone eaves brackets, cast-iron rainwater goods and wrought-iron weathervane to breakfront. Dressed sandstone walls with tooled limestone and rendered stringcourses. Inset clock and cast-iron bell to breakfront. Recent carved limestone commemorative plaques. Round-headed window openings with limestone sills throughout, set in shallow round-headed recesses with sandstone voussoirs, limestone jambs and keystones. Eight-over-eight pane timber sliding sash windows to first floor openings and six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows to ground floor openings with spoked fanlights. Square-headed window openings with render sills to recessed bays, having timber-framed bipartite windows with four-over-four pane timber sliding sash windows. Oculus window openings to side (north, south) gables with timber casement windows. Segmental-headed window openings with render sills to ground floor of side (north) elevation with tooled sandstone voussoirs and limestone key and jamb stones, having timber-framed tripartite casement windows. Round-headed door opening to breakfront, having double-leaf timber battened door with spoked fanlight opening to paired curved limestone steps with sandstone parapet walls and render copings. Square-headed door opening to side (north) elevation with timber panelled door opening to flight of limestone steps with sandstone parapet. Segmental-headed door opening to side (south) elevation, having dressed sandstone voussoirs, limestone key and jamb stones and timber panelled door with sidelights and overlight. Wrought-iron railings to balcony and steps. Carved limestone water feature and statue to front of site.
This fine former market house serves as a reminder of Macroom's history as a market town, well-sited on the road between Killarney and Cork. The central breakfront and projecting gable ends, striking sandstone construction and fine limestone detailing make for a building of varied form, texture and colour. Located in the central square, it makes a dominant and handsome addition to the town centre.