Survey Data

Reg No

20852020


Rating

National


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Historical, Social


Previous Name

The Castle


Original Use

Country house


Date

1800 - 1837


Coordinates

133846, 72934


Date Recorded

13/07/2009


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Remains of country house, extant 1837, including five-bay two-storey wing centred on single-bay full-height gabled breakfront; single-bay three-stage tower (north) on a square plan. Burnt, 1922. Demolished, 1967. Now in ruins. Set overlooking Sullane River.

Appraisal

The remains of a country house representing an important component of the built heritage of Macroom with the architectural value of the composition, one described as 'the residence of Robert Hedges Eyre [d. 1840]...who has converted [an] ancient castle into a modern elegant mansion in which the old towers have been so perfectly incorporated as to be scarcely distinguishable from the rest of the building' (Lewis 1837 II, 328), confirmed by such attributes as the symmetrical fa├žade centred on an expressed breakfront showing neo-medieval balistraria; the uniform or near-uniform proportions of the openings on each floor; and the crow stepped battlements embellishing the roofline.