Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social

Original Use


In Use As



1760 - 1800


163868, 50525

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced three-bay three-storey former house, built c.1780, having shopfront to front (south-east) elevation. Now in use as hotel. Pitched slate roof with rendered overhanging eaves, red brick chimneystacks and replacement uPVC rainwater goods on wrought-iron brackets. Roughcast rendered walls with render platbands and sill bands to first and second floors. Channelled lined-and-ruled render to ground floor. Square-headed window openings with render sills, raised render surrounds and replacement uPVC casement windows. Recessed round-headed door within stone doorcase, comprising Ionic columns, frieze, cornice and scalloped archivolt. Timber panelled reveals and door surmounted by spider-web fanlight. Render shopfront comprising pilasters, stall risers, architrave, frieze and dentilated cornice. Round-headed window openings with fixed single-pane display windows having leaded stained glass overlights. Central recessed round-headed door opening with glazed timber double-leaf door and stained glass fanlight.


This impressive former house, now in use as a hotel is located on a prominent site within the streetscape and closes the vista from Pearse Street. Although it has undergone many alterations and a change of use, it retains much character and interesting fabric most notably the carved doorcase with classical elements.