Survey Data

Reg No

20851133


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social


Original Use

House


Historical Use

Public house


In Use As

Restaurant


Date

1860 - 1900


Coordinates

164029, 50120


Date Recorded

02/03/2009


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced four-bay two-storey former house and commercial outlet, built c.1880, having integral carriage arch. Now in use as restaurant. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystack and cast-iron rainwater goods. Rendered walls. Square-headed window openings with render sills having replacement one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Round-headed integral carriage arch opening with recent square-headed double-leaf timber battened doors. Shopfront comprising pilasters with capped consoles, architrave, frieze, cornice and stall risers with Art Nouveau style metal lettering to frieze. Square-headed bipartite fixed timber-framed single-pane windows. Square-headed door opening having replacement double-leaf timber panelled doors and single-pane overlight.

Appraisal

This well kept building sits within the centre of town contributing positively to the overall streetscape. The integral carriage arch and sliding sash windows are notable traditional features. Its simple and attractive form is enhanced by the ornate lettering.