Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social

Original Use


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1760 - 1800


163847, 50527

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Corner-sited terraced two-bay two-storey former house, built c.1780, having bowed end-bay. Now in use as shop. Pitched and hipped slate roof with rendered chimneystack and cast-iron and aluminium rainwater goods. Rendered walls with eaves course and plinth. Camber-headed window opening to first floor with stone sill, having eight-over-eight pane timber sliding sash window. Square-headed window opening to ground floor with stone sill, timber surround comprising pilasters, capped consoles, architrave and cornice. Fixed timber framed single-pane display window with casement overlights. Timber shopfront comprising pilasters, capped consoles, architrave, frieze and cornice. Square-headed window opening over rendered stall riser having timber framed fixed pane display window surmounted by single-pane overlight. Square-headed door opening with glazed timber door surmounted by single-pane overlight.


This attractive corner-sited shop contributes positively to the surrounding streetscape having retained its traditional shopfront, timber sliding sash window and asymmetrical form. The profile of the building is also of interest, its curved wall having originally been conceived to allowed cart traffic to take the corner with ease.