Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social Technical

Original Use


In Use As

Guest house/b&b


1760 - 1800


163755, 50585

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Detached three-bay three-storey house, built c.1780. Single-bay two-storey dormer attic addition side (north-west) with recent lean-to extension to front (south-west). Hipped slate roof, pitched slate roof to addition with rendered chimneystacks, uPVC rainwater goods and recent rooflights. Slate hanging to front (south-east), rendered walls elsewhere. Rubble stone wall to lean-to extension. Square-headed window openings with stone and render sills, having replacement uPVC windows. Round-headed recessed door opening with timber doorcase comprising panelled pilasters surmounted by open-bedded pediment. Timber panelled door surmounted by spoked fanlight. Flight of steps leading to front door, with replacement limestone flagstones and recent railings. Square-headed door openings to second floor of side elevation and first floor of addition with metal steps. Red brick enclosing wall with recent repairs, additions and render. Gate opening to front (south-west) with wrought-iron double-leaf gates. Laneway to rear with corrugated-iron gate. Three-bay single-storey outbuilding to west with artificial slate roof, rendered walls with square-headed openings, having replacement uPVC windows and door.


This substantial house occupies a prominent position in the streetscape having a commanding view down Cork Street to Church Square. Cartographic evidence shows that the house once faced onto a small square that had later been reclaimed to accommodate the front garden. Despite recent alterations, the building retains its overall form, attractive slate hanging and pedimented doorcase.