Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1865 - 1875
Attached five-bay two-storey with dormer attic parochial house, built c.1870, having pair of canted bay windows to front (north-east) and two-storey pitched roof addition to rear (south-west). Hipped slate roof with over-hanging timber clad eaves on render corbels, rendered chimneystacks, cast-iron rainwater goods and rooflights. Rendered walls, having render string course below eaves of main block. Rendered plinths, architrave, frieze and cornice to canted bays surmounted by channelled parapets. Square-headed window openings with limestone sills throughout, having one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Render label mouldings to side (south-east) elevation openings and first floor of front elevation. Recent wrought-iron bars to side and rear elevation openings. Camber-headed door opening to front elevation having limestone threshold, timber panelled door with side lights and overlight surmounted by render hood moulding. Square-headed door opening to side (south-east) elevation of pitched roof addition having timber panelled door with single-pane overlight. Rubble stone and rendered enclosing wall having square-profile gate piers, cast-iron railings and gates.
Located overlooking the Owenboy River, this fine parochial house is an imposing addition to the streetscape. It is a reminder of the high status clergy dwellings which were built by the Roman Catholic church in the latter part of the nineteenth century. Set adjacent to St. Bridget's Church to the south, with a convent located further south, it forms part of a group of religious buildings. It retains much of its original fabric intact.