Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1865 - 1875
Attached three-bay two-storey former parochial house, built c.1870, now in use a private house. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystacks, eaves course and cast-iron rainwater goods with uPVC downpipes. Rendered walls. Square-headed window openings with limestone sills to front (north-east) elevation, having uPVC casement windows throughout and render label mouldings to ground floor openings. Square-headed door opening with limestone threshold, timber panelled door with brass door furniture and moulded render label moulding. Stepped approach, rendered enclosing wall with square-profile gate piers with limestone coping stones, cast-iron railings and gate.
Though the original window fittings have been replaced, this building retains much of its historic character. Located on an elevated site, it forms part of a group of three buildings, which vary in design and scale. Built overlooking the Owenboy River in the late nineteenth century, these houses are thought to have been associated with St. Bridget's Roman Catholic church to the south, and were probably built as parochial houses.