Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Social, Technical
In Use As
1885 - 1890
Detached five-bay single-storey former railway station, built 1887, having cat-slide canopy and former platform to front (south-east). Now in use as shop. Pitched corrugated-iron roof with timber finials to gables and uPVC rainwater goods. Timber brackets supporting veranda. Corrugated-iron walls. Square-headed window openings having timber casement windows. Square-headed door openings with glazed timber doors to front elevation and double-leaf timber panelled door to side (north-east) elevation.
This unusual structure is striking in its simple design. The Cork and Muskerry Light Railway, which was funded under the Tramways and Public Expenses (Ireland) Act of 1883, operated from 1887 to 1934. The eight and a half mile line from Cork city to Blarney was built by contractor Robert Worthington. This building retains much of its original fabric including corrugated-iron, timber casement windows, eaves brackets and gable finials. Together with the associated structures, include the timber railway master's house and goods store located directly across the road, this group makes a significant contribution to the town's architectural, social and industrial heritage.