Survey Data

Reg No

20842014


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Social


Previous Name

Ballincollig Cavalry Barracks originally Ballincollig Artillery Barracks


Original Use

Store/warehouse


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1800 - 1820


Coordinates

159467, 70772


Date Recorded

21/04/2009


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached three-bay double-height former military store, built c.1810, now in use as retail unit. Pitched slate roof with cast-iron rainwater goods on wrought-iron brackets. Rubble limestone walls. Camber-headed window openings with red brick block-and-start surrounds and sills to front (west) and side (south) elevations having recent timber casement windows. Diocletian window opening with dressed limestone voussoirs to gable of side (south) elevation, having recent timber casement window. Square-headed door opening with red brick voussoirs to front elevation having recent timber battened door and overlight. Segmental-headed former carriage arch with dressed limestone voussoirs to front elevation, having recent glazed panelling and door. Square-profile dressed limestone piers with concrete capping to west of site. Gabled south elevation fronting directly onto street with front fa├žade facing onto pedestrian walkway.

Appraisal

This building forms part of a wider complex of military buildings which were located at Ballincollig. The military barracks was constructed c.1810 as a means of protecting the near-by gunpowder mills, which was viewed as being vulnerable to attack. The remains of the complex form an important part of the townscape, and of the architectural heritage and social history of Ballincollig. The surviving buildings provide evidence of the extent of this significant military complex.