Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social

Original Use


In Use As

Bank/financial institution


1880 - 1900


112284, 33830

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached three-bay two-storey former school, built c.1890, with blind arches to ground floor and gabled bay to north-east. Now in use as credit union. Single-storey extensions to rear (west). Hipped artificial slate roof with decorative red and black brick chimneystack and cast-iron rainwater goods. Carved timber bargeboards to gable. Red brick walls with moulded yellow brick corbels to eaves course, vitrified brick impost courses to window openings, chamfered limestone sill courses and moulded vitrified brick plinth. Painted rendered walls to north-east elevation. Camber-headed openings to first floor having recessed vitrified brick surrounds and uPVC windows. Paired pointed arch openings recessed in camber-headed archways to ground floor, having vitrified brick keystone and uPVC windows. Pointed arch door opening having double-leaf timber panelled doors and overlight.


An elaborate and attractively detailed building displaying a variety of stylistic influences in its finely-crafted brick detailing. In spite of some alterations the overall form and character of the building has been maintained and the use of polychrome brick, unusual among its neighbours, greatly enlivens the streetscape.