Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social

Original Use


Historical Use

Shop/retail outlet

In Use As



1840 - 1880


112254, 33742

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached two-bay three-storey house, built c.1860, refurbished c. 1930, with shopfront to ground floor. Now in use as house. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystack and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted smooth rendered walls with render sill courses and render vertical quoin bands. Square-headed openings with margined one-over-one timber sliding sash windows and concrete sills (second floor). Render and tiled shopfront comprising pilasters on tiled pedestals supporting cornice and having arched fascia board. Square-headed opening with timber fixed pane canted bay window and tiled stall riser, having flanking recessed square-headed door openings with double-leaf timber glazed doors (south) and timber glazed door (north) with decorative brass door furniture, overlights and decorative tiling to thresholds.


The simple proportions of this façade are animated by the render wall decoration and simply proportioned sash windows. The ground floor arrangement is an early twentieth century reworking of an earlier shopfront which accommodates two entrance porches at ground floor level, both exhibiting fine nineteenth century decorative tiling. The style and decoration of this shopfront is distinctive and exhibits decorative tiling and a colour palate typical of its era. The survival of décor of this style and time is becoming increasingly rare in Irish townscapes. This composition is a pleasing addition to the streetscape of Skibbereen.