Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
1860 - 1900
Terraced three-bay two-storey house, built c.1880, later in use as garage, now disused. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystacks and uPVC rainwater goods. Painted rendered walls with raised lettering and wall mounted air gauge. Square-headed openings with one-over-one timber sliding sash windows and concrete sills. Square-headed door opening with timber panelled door and overlight. Shopfront comprising timber panelled pilasters with consoles supporting architrave, fascia, and cornice. Square-headed openings with timber fixed pane display windows. Square-headed door opening with timber glazed door. Remains of former fuel pump to pavement.
A typical nineteenth century house and shopfront ensemble that is greatly enhanced by an attractive timber shopfront and sliding sash windows. It is an interesting reminder of the scale and form of urban garages before the arrival of the purpose built filling station. The wall mounted air gauge and adjacent fuel pump are typical features of this type, now rarely seen. The building's simple form and attractive shopfront make it a fine historic addition to the streetscape.