Survey Data

Reg No

20840018


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social


Original Use

House


In Use As

Public house


Date

1850 - 1890


Coordinates

92802, 31548


Date Recorded

18/06/2008


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay two-storey house, built c.1870, now in use as public house. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystack, cast-iron rainwater goods and rooflights. Painted rendered walls. Square-headed openings with replacement timber casement windows. Shopfront comprising square-headed openings with fixed pane display windows and one-over-one timber sliding sash windows, square-headed door opening with double-leaf timber glazed doors and overlight, flanked by timber panelled pilasters with consoles, having fascia and cornice above.

Appraisal

A simple and unassuming building that is enhanced greatly by the retention of its attractive shopfront. Inserted in the first part of the twentieth century, uncomplicated shopfronts such as this are becoming increasingly rare and are often threatened by historical pastiche replacement.