Survey Data

Reg No

20835021


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social


Original Use

House


In Use As

Surgery/clinic


Date

1860 - 1880


Coordinates

67666, 45875


Date Recorded

28/05/2008


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced four-bay two-storey house with shopfront and carriage arch, built c.1870. Pitched artificial slate roof with shared rendered chimneystack, recent rooflights and uPVC rainwater goods. Painted smooth rendered walls. Segmental-headed window openings to first floor with one-over-one timber sliding sash windows and painted surrounds. Render shopfront comprising pilasters supporting decorative scroll brackets and fascia board with raised lettering, having cornice with egg-and-dart moulding to soffit. Square-headed opening with moulded rendered sill, cast-iron cow bar and replacement timber fixed pane display windows incorporating arcade motif with casement windows above. Square-headed door openings flanking display window, with one (west) giving access to upper floor and having timber panelled door, overlight and sidelights, and one (east) accessing ground floor having double-leaf timber panelled doors and overlight. Double-leaf timber battened gates to carriage arch.

Appraisal

Having a pleasing composition, distinguished by a finely crafted shopfront, this building contributes positively to the Castletownbere streetscape. The moulded pilasters, render lettering and scroll brackets are of particular interest. The integral carriage arch is an interesting reminder of the provisions which were made to access rear coach houses and outbuildings.