Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
1850 - 1870
Freestanding gable-fronted double-height Gothic Revival style Church of Ireland church, built c.1860, incorporating earlier fabric. Now disused. Three-bay nave, gabled entrance porch (south-west gable-front), gabled chancel (north-east) and gabled presbytery extension (south-east). Pitched slate roof with carved and cut limestone bellcote (south-west gable), carved limestone finials and uPVC rainwater goods. Exposed roughly coursed rubble sandstone and limestone walls with tooled cut limestone quoins surmounted by carved limestone corbels. Quoins battered to porch gable-front. Remains of lined-and-ruled render to south elevation. Blind rendered lancet over oeil-de-boeuf opening with spoked timber framed window having rendered surround (south-west gable). Pointed arch openings with uPVC windows, cut limestone sills and cut tooled limestone block-and-start surrounds. Pointed arch openings to chancel having timber framed windows with leaded stained glass windows, limestone sills and cut limestone block-and-start surrounds. Paired square-headed openings to porch with single pane fixed timber framed windows and cut limestone block-and-start surrounds. Square-headed openings to sacristy gable-front with leaded stained glass windows. Pointed arch door opening with double-leaf timber battened door and cast-iron door handle. Square-headed door opening to sacristy with timber battened door and painted wrought-iron hinges. Carved timber king-post roof, reredos, choir, decorative floor tiles, carved marble pulpit and baptism font to interior. Recessed from street with exposed rubble stone boundary walls, having replacement cast-iron railings and cut limestone gate piers with double-leaf cast-iron gates.
A fine church exhibiting the high quality craftsmanship associated with Church of Ireland buildings throughout the nineteenth century. The coherent Gothic Revival style decorative scheme features finely carved limestone finials, bellcote and window surrounds. To the interior, the timber detailing exhibits sophisticated and highly skilled carpentry. This site has been in use as a place of worship since the early nineteenth century.