1900 - 1920
Terrace of three two-bay two-storey former lighthouse keepers' houses, built c.1910, with flat roof porches to front (north-west) and rear (south-east) elevations. Now in use as coastguard station. Terrace flanked by flat-roofed single-bay single-storey blocks. Rendered parapet to roof with rendered chimneystacks, moulded eaves course and cast-iron service pipe and rainwater goods. Painted rendered walls with quoins, platband and plinth. Square-headed openings with uPVC windows, painted concrete sills and raised render surrounds. Square-headed openings to entrances with uPVC replacement doors.
This prominently located terrace provides a visual insight into the maritime activity of the West Cork coastal area in the early twentieth century. The well proportioned and balanced appearance of the terrace is enlivened by the attention to detail, as seen in the eaves and string courses. It was built for the families of the keepers of Roancarrigmore Lighthouse. Today, this building still performs an important role in the continued maritime safety of the area.