Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social

Original Use

Shop/retail outlet

In Use As



1850 - 1890


67770, 45961

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced three-bay three-storey former house and shop, built c.1870, now is use as library. Pitched artificial slate roof with rendered chimneystacks, render eaves course and corbels, uPVC rainwater goods and recent rooflights. Painted rendered walls with moulded sill course to second floor. Square-headed openings with moulded render surrounds and uPVC windows to second floor. Square-headed openings to first floor with uPVC windows, moulded render surrounds, decorative scroll brackets and pediments having egg-and-dart moulding to soffits. Render shopfront comprising pilasters flanking openings with decorative scroll brackets, fascia with raised render lettering, and cornice above. Square-headed openings with moulded render sills and uPVC fixed pane display windows, replacement timber and uPVC doors with overlights, and having timber panelled door leading to upper floors.


This well balanced and symmetrical structure is distinguished by its remarkable shopfront at ground floor level and decorative render detail on the upper floors. The design and execution of the decorative render detailing was clearly undertaken by skilled craftsmen. The building contributes much character and artistic interest to the streetscape.