Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
Garda station/constabulary barracks
In Use As
1765 - 1770
Detached five-bay three-storey house, built 1767, having timber porch to front (east) elevation and multiple-bay two-storey extension to rear (west) elevation. Formerly in use as constabulary barracks. Pitched slate roof with render over brick chimneystacks and limestone eaves course. Roughcast rendered walls to first and second floors having inscribed limestone date stone. Render walls with plat band to ground floor. Square-headed openings having render surrounds, limestone sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed openings to extension, north elevation having two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows. Segmental-headed opening having overlight and timber panelled door.
Substantial house of characteristic late eighteenth-century appearance, incorporating distinctive features, such as the sash windows, limestone sills and date stone which significantly enhance the architectural value of the composition. The house has been well maintained, throughout its interesting history, as house and barracks, and remains an important component of the architectural heritage of the locality.