Survey Data

Reg No

20827350


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Original Use

Shop/retail outlet


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1880 - 1900


Coordinates

179947, 66413


Date Recorded

14/09/2007


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Attached double gable-fronted two-bay two-storey shop, built c. 1890. Pitched slate roof with cast-iron finials and roof lights. Rendered walls. Round-headed bipartite opening to first floor having render hood moulding and oculus over one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows with flanking round-headed one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows having render hood mouldings. Round-headed bipartite openings to first floor having render hood mouldings and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Shopfronts comprising moulded render cornice and brackets. Square-headed display windows with flanking half-glazed timber panelled doors. Round-headed openings with render surrounds over overlights over half-glazed doors.

Appraisal

Well-composed building retaining its original form and salient features such as the cast-iron finials and slate roof. The windows are particularly ornate having render surrounds, hood mouldings and sash windows. The composition is enhanced by the render shop fronts which provide further artistic interest to the fa├žade.