Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Attached four-bay four-storey former house, built c. 1850, with recent shopfront to front (south) elevation. Now in use as shop. Rendered parapet to roofline having moulded cornice with brackets and rendered chimneystacks. Rendered walls. Camber-headed window openings to third floor, round-headed window openings to second floor, and square-headed openings to first floor having render surrounds and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Continuous sill courses to second and third floors. Segmental pediments to first floor openings. Recent timber shopfront comprising pilasters with consoles, cornice and fascia. Square-headed display windows. Recessed square-headed opening having overlights over half-glazed timber panelled double-leaf doors.
Well-composed building of classically derived proportions and symmetrical appearance. Enlivened by the varied window treatments with decorative render surrounds, it also retains a number of important salient materials, such as the sash windows, which further enhance the quality and character of the site.