Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1850 - 1870
Attached two-bay three-storey with dormer attic former house, built c. 1860, with shopfront to front (south) elevation. Now in use as a shop. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystack, cast-iron finials and bracketed render eaves course. Rendered walls. Round-headed openings with render surrounds to dormers. Square-headed window openings to second floor with render surrounds and continuous sill course. Replacement uPVC windows to upper floors. Square-headed opening to first floor having render surrounds with keystones, render pediments having consoles and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Shopfront comprising render pilasters with recent timber consoles and fascia. Square-headed fixed display window having timber mullions with ornate spandrels. Square-headed opening having overlight and half-glazed timber panelled double-leaf doors.
Well-composed and highly ornate building, which presents a unified and ornate façade to the streetscape. Ornate render mouldings were applied to many buildings in Cobh in the later part of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. This render detail creates continuity and contributes to the character of the town. The shopfront retains much of its original fabric.