Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1850 - 1870
Attached two-bay three-storey with dormer attic former house, built c. 1860, with timber shopfront to front (south) elevation. Now in use as a shop. Pitched slate roof with bracketed render eaves course and rendered chimneystacks. Rendered walls. Round-headed opening to dormer with render surround. Square-headed openings to second floor having render surrounds, continuous sill course. Replacement uPVC windows to upper floors. Square-headed window openings to first floor with render surrounds and segmental and triangular pediments. Timber shopfront comprising cornice, fascia and ornate consoles. Square-headed fixed display opening having inset round-headed tripartite windows with Corinthian-style timber mullions, grape motifs to spandrels. Moulded render panel to riser. Square-headed opening with inset round-headed overlight having grape motifs to spandrels, over half-glazed timber panelled double-leaf doors.
Well-composed and highly ornate building, which is further enhanced by the design of the late nineteenth century shopfront. High quality craftsmanship is apparent in the carved Corinthian mullions and overlight spandrels. The grape motifs suggest that if was formerly in use as a public house. The building presents a unified and ornate façade and makes a positive contribution to the streetscape.