Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1850 - 1870
Attached three-bay four-storey former house, built c. 1860, with timber shopfront to front (south) elevation. Now in use as shop. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystacks. Rendered walls. Continuous render sill course to second floor windows. Square-headed openings to third floor having render moulded surrounds, continuous sill course. Camber-headed window openings to first and second floor having render moulded surrounds. Replacement uPVC windows throughout. Timber shopfront comprising cornice, fascia and ornate scrolled consoles. Square-headed display windows with timber mullions and centrally placed square-headed opening having overlight and half-glazed timber panelled double-leaf doors. Square-headed opening with overlight and timber panelled door.
The façade of this building is enlivened and enhanced by the decorative render detail including the sill courses and window surrounds. Ornate render mouldings were applied to many buildings in Cobh in the later part of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. This render detail creates continuity and contributes to the character of the town.