Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1850 - 1870
Attached four-bay three-storey former house, built c. 1860, having shopfronts to east and west elevations. Now in use as shop. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystacks. Rendered walls. Camber-headed openings having one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows and painted sills. Timber shopfronts to ground floor. East shopfront comprising render pilasters with ornate consoles having floral motifs, dentilated cornice and fascia. Square-headed display window. Square-headed opening having overlight, half-glazed timber panelled door and flanking render pilasters. Square-headed opening with overlight and timber panelled door with ornate consoles. West shopfront comprising render pilasters, scrolled consoles and fascia. Square-headed display window. Recessed square-headed opening having overlight and half-glazed timber panelled double-leaf doors.
While the size and scale of this building and the subtlety of the diminishing windows provide a positive contribution to the streetscape, its shop fronts are perhaps its most notable feature. Ornate consoles and decorative dentillated course are subtle details that are rarely copied in pastiche shop fronts.