Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Historical Social
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Attached single-bay four-storey former house, built c. 1820, having full-height bay window from first to third floor and shopfront to front (south) elevation. Later used as public house, now in use as shop. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystack. Rendered walls with recent limestone plaques to first floor. Square-headed tripartite openings having one-over-one pane timber sliding margin sash windows. Timber shopfront comprising pilasters supporting fascia and cornice. Square-headed display window with timber mullion. Recessed square-headed opening having overlight and half-glazed timber panelled door. Limestone threshold to entrance. Geometric coloured tiles to interior floor. Timber cabinets to interior, west and east walls having carved cornices, shelves and Corinthian-style pilasters with inset mirrors. Brass manufacturers mark to east cabinet. Mahogany counter with rectangular panels and carved consoles with grape motifs.
Notable for its form, this shop and former house is the only single-bay structure in the terrace. Once the home of Fr Theobald Mathew, Apostle of Temperance, the building was ironically later converted for use as a pub. It retains the former counter displaying carved references to revelry, such as the grape motifs to the consoles. Opened as a pharmacy in 1907, it retains its early twentieth century shop furniture apothecary cabinets and drawers, including the maker's plaque, Parnell and Sons of Bristol.