Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1850 - 1860
End-of-terrace breakfront two-bay five-storey over basement former house, built c. 1855, now in use as a shop. Recent box-bay window to ground floor, front (south) elevation. Rendered stepped parapet with heavy render cornice and render sphinx to step. Rendered walls having render string courses, cast-iron ties and rusticated walls to ground floor. Square-headed openings with render surrounds and replacement uPVC windows. Round-headed window opening to ground floor now partially blocked up. Round-headed opening with overlight and timber panelled door. Limestone step to entrance.
Projecting from the line of the terrace, this building and the similar two-bay building to the east visually frame the hotel. The render parapet with heavy consoles, a feature shared with both the hotel and neighbouring house, is a detail which unifies the buildings and signifies their relationship to one another. The terrace is representative of the development of Cobh in the mid nineteenth century.